Tweed Museum of Art, University of Minnesota Duluth, functions as an art collecting and teaching institution that promotes learning through collection stewardship, research, and by presentations in the visual arts for the engagement program of the University and surrounding communities.
With a permanent collection of over 9,000 art objects representing a range of cultures and periods of art history, the Tweed Museum of Art on the campus of the University of Minnesota Duluth is a major cultural and educational resource for the Upper Midwest.
In the 1920s and early 1930s, George P. Tweed and his wife Alice began collecting 19th and early 20th century European and American painting, including examples of the French Barbizon School and Impressionist influenced American Landscape painting. After the death of Mr. Tweed in 1946, Mrs. Tweed saw the potential of the Tweed Collection as an educational resource for the community and the University. She generously developed the funding for the present building which was dedicated in 1958.