The Saint Mary's College Museum of Art (SMCMoA) is home to over 4,000 pieces of art, ranging from William Keith's early California landscapes to Andy Warhol's polaroids.
The Saint Mary's College Museum of Art was once the Hearst Art Gallery, built with the aid of a grant from the William Randolph Hearst Foundation. The Gallery opened in 1977, replacing a smaller William Keith Gallery. The College previously collected and distributed art for several decades, including many works by William Keith (1838-1911), a key figure in the history of California art. Brother Fidelis Cornelius Braeg, Saint Mary's College art professor and Keith biographer, established the original William Keith Collection and Gallery at Saint Mary's in 1934. After decades of going by the Hearst Art Gallery, a new name came with a large expansion. Increasing both exhibitions space and storage space, the Hearst Art Gallery became the Saint Mary's College Museum of Art in 2011. Come check out the Museum today!
Exhibitions and events are enhanced by a wonderful group of volunteers who assist with all aspects of museum operations and members whose generous support makes many programs and publications possible.