Joslyn Art Museum - Omaha - Nebraska - U.S.A.

Joslyn Art Museum was a generous gift to the people of Omaha from Sarah H. Joslyn (1851–1940) in memory of her husband, George A. Joslyn (1848–1916).
The extraordinary Art Deco building was hailed not only as an important addition to the city of Omaha, but to modern American architecture as well. In 1938 it was listed among the 100 finest buildings in the United States. Construction took three years and cost almost $3 million. The three-level interior comprises some 38 marbles from around the world and includes stone from Italy, France, Germany, Belgium, and Morocco. The exterior and retaining wall alone filled 250 boxcars with George Pink (Etowah Fleuri) marble.
The building’s architects utilized Native American themes throughout the museum interior and on the east entrance columns. Moravian floor tiles used in the colorful Storz Fountain Court include symbols for literature, music, architecture, and painting.

The Walter and Suzanne Scott Pavilion, a 58,000 square-foot addition designed by renowned British architect Norman Foster, Baron Foster of Thames Bank, and built in 1994 at a cost of $15.95 million, connects to the original Memorial building with the glorious glass ConAgra Foods Atrium.

In 2007, Joslyn celebrated 75 years of achievement and inspiration with an exciting year of events and programs recognizing the Museum's permanent collection, special exhibitions, building, campus, and community partnerships.

At a gala event on November 11, 2006, marking the start of Joslyn's year-long 75th anniversary celebration, Joslyn announced a plan for a new sculpture garden. Opened to the public on June 6, 2009, the garden is the focal point of a campus redevelopment that has dramatically changed the face of Joslyn's grounds and includes flowing reflective water features, enhanced entrances and drives, renovated and expanded parking, landscaped green spaces, rich granite pathways, an entrance plaza to welcome visitors, and important sculptures by internationally renowned artists. On October 31, 2009, the Museum opened a children's Discovery Garden on the northwest corner of campus, the third and final phase of the redevelopment.

In May 2013, the Museum stopped charging general admission, again providing free access to the public as it had done from its opening until the mid-1960s.