Everson Museum of Art - Syracuse - New York - U.S.A.

The Everson Museum of Art's roots extend back to the Syracuse Museum of Fine Arts, which was founded in 1897 by George Fisk Comfort, a well known art educator who also helped establish the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City. The Syracuse Museum of Fine Arts' inaugural exhibition was held in 1900. Within twenty years of its founding, the Syracuse Museum made two character-setting decisions under the leadership of Fernando Carter, the second director of the Museum.
In 1911, the Everson declared that it would collect only American art, the first museum to do so. This decision led to a permanent collection comprised largely of American paintings, sculpture, drawings and graphics that date from colonial times to present day. The Everson also established one of the first video art collections in the United States and holds one of the largest video art collections in the world.
The Everson's second decision set the course for the Museum's long-term commitment to the ceramic arts. In 1916, a group of porcelains was purchased from Syracuse potter Adelaide Alsop Robineau, who is today considered one of America's finest ceramists and whose work is known throughout the world. This first purchase was soon followed by the acquisition of additional pieces of her work. In 1932, the Ceramic National exhibitions were established in her memory by Director Anna Olmstead. This important series of exhibitions not only represented the sole national platform for the exposition of ceramics during its early years of operation, but also enabled the Museum to amass one of the most comprehensive holdings of American ceramic art in the nation.
Over the years the Museum had several homes, such as the Onondaga Savings Bank and the Syracuse Public Library. The rapidly expanding museum outgrew each facility. In 1941, Helen Everson made a gift to the City of Syracuse to be used for the sole purpose of erecting a museum dedicated to art appreciation and education. Under the guidance of Director Max Sullivan, ground was broken for the present Everson Museum of Art in 1965.